Re: Verizon IP's and ARIN Records

  • From: Henry Yen
  • Date: Tue Jun 08 05:36:32 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:47:00AM -0400, Pete wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Dennis Dayman wrote:
> > > ARIN has dropped all registry information for 206.46.0.0 - 255.255.0.0.
> > > This range includes our residential and business mail customers.  We are
> > > aware of the issue and are addressing this NOW to have our ARIN records
> > > re-published again.  We are not sure why this has happened at this time.
> > > Any sender verification that checks for PTR records will fail on outbound
> > > mail from Verizon Online.
> > > --------------------------
> > > Dennis Dayman
> > > Verizon Internet Services Operations
> > > Security and Legal Compliance
> > > --------------------------
>
> ARIN is cracking down on IP Space that is or has been issued (legally) and
> have been found to have the contact records  "out of date" or the e-mail
> addresses either don't work or their are mailboxes full and so on. You will
> see more and more of these allocations being removed for failing to act on
> network issue via their stated ARIN information.

I received endless spam from hosts on other verizon networks, e.g.
(the following generated: Tue Jun  8 05:01:33 EDT 2004):

   NetRange:   206.124.64.0 - 206.124.64.255
   CIDR:       206.124.64.0/24
   NetName:    GTENET-CSD-DNS1
   NetHandle:  NET-206-124-64-0-2
   Parent:     NET-206-124-64-0-1
   NetType:    Reassigned
   NameServer: BIGGUY.GTE.NET
   NameServer: OTHERGUY.GTE.NET
   Comment:
   RegDate:    1999-02-24
   Updated:    1999-02-24
   OrgAbuseHandle: VOH1-ARIN
   OrgAbuseName:   Hostmaster, Verizon Online
   OrgAbusePhone:  +1-800-927-3000
   OrgAbuseEmail:  [email protected]

E-mail sent to this listed contact bounced and/or was undeliverable.
I sent notifications of this breakage to every other directly related
and listed contact, and was met with complete silence.  I tried dozens
of times.  For months and months.  One of the non-responders was
a contact associated with GTE.NET, [email protected],
AKA CA546-ARIN, for example.

I also inquired of ARIN about its policy regarding Invalid Contacts.
They merely pointed out that it is not their responsibility to police
such issues, but merely mark them, i.e. (the following generated:
Tue Jun  8 05:02:55 EDT 2004):

   Name:       Hostmaster, Verizon Online
   Handle:     VOH1-ARIN
   Company:
   Address:    Verizon Online
   Address:    5525 MacArthur Ste 320
   City:       Irving
   StateProv:  TX
   PostalCode: 75038
   Country:    US
   Comment:    The information for POC handle VOH1-ARIN has been reported to
   Comment:    be invalid. ARIN has attempted to obtain updated data, but has
   Comment:    been unsuccessful. To provide current contact information,
   Comment:    please e-mail [email protected]
   RegDate:    2002-02-21
   Updated:    2003-06-03
   Phone:      +1-800-927-3000  (Office)
   Email:      [email protected]

The coincidence that the last-updated date is "06/03/2003" is remarkable.

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York