Re: IT security people sleep well

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Mon Jun 07 23:25:41 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

> JF> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:31:59 -0400
> JF> From: Jason Frisvold
>
> JF> I don't see why they can't roll it into every ios that runs
> JF> on a router capable of ssh.  Ssh and sshd on my linux system
> JF> barely break 500k compiled... And there's a TON of
> JF> functionality in there that isn't required on a router.  It
> JF> would seem that you could get ssh put into these code trains
> JF> in under 500k ...
>
> Dynamic linking might be cheating.  Static linking might be
> pessimistic.  Probably best to compare BSD "crunchgen" images
> with and without ssh/sshd.  (2MB total for statically-linked ssh
> and sshd as I compile it.)

A friend of mine here at uni wrote a much, much smaller sshd replacement
he calls "dropbear". Its much, much smaller than sshd. Much smaller.

http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

I think its very very cute. Perhaps some vendors with small memory
footprints would consider implementing this kind of tiny sshd?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			I'm only a fanboy if
<[email protected]>	    I emailed Wesley Crusher.