RE: IT security people sleep well

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Mon Jun 07 23:14:32 2004

> [email protected] wrote:
> OK.. Say you can get it into the code train for 200K. What do
> you do with all those routers that have only 100K or 125K of
> space left in the flash (if that), and the flash is NOT going
> to get any bigger without massive abuse of a soldering iron

Being one of these who have massively abused the soldering iron (I run
12.2T on a 3102 and I _do_ plan on running it on an IGS) the fact of the
matter is that these days are gone. On my all-mighty home router
(7507/RSP2) I have 64 _megs_ of flash that cost me a mere 20 bucks at
Fry's and 128 megs of RAM that cost me $0 because I scrounged them from
an old server. The RSP2 does not support el-cheapo digital camera flash?
That's true, it's not in the list of approved memory. Nevertheless :-D

cisco7507#sh diagbus
Slot 2:
        EEPROM format version 1
        Route/Switch Processor 2, HW rev 1.02, board revision F0
        Flags: cisco 7000 board; 7500 compatible
cisco7507#sh ver
cisco RSP2 (R4700) processor with 131072K/2072K bytes of memory.
R4700 CPU at 100Mhz, Implementation 33, Rev 1.0
64000K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size 512 bytes).

In modern environments, I have to admit that 2500s are a though call but
I will also point out that a 2600 goes for near-to-nothing on eBay, and
even when you re-license IOS and upgrade it still costs near-to-nothing.

For the enjoyment of Nanog readers, the following links display what you
should _not_ do if you don't want to void the warranty on your brand new
Cisco 3102 (it was before I decided to run 12.2(T) on it, more soldering
has happened since).

Michel.

http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/photo_albums/first%20album/high/cisco
%203000%20decapitated%20serial.jpg

http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/photo_albums/first%20album/high/cisco
3000.jpg

What do you mean, it's not new? It was new when I bought it!