Re: SSH on the router - was( IT security people sleep well)

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Jun 07 17:52:58 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:12:36 BST, Alex Bligh said:

> Where did the word "single" come from, given he had an "s" on gateways?
> Replicate them across POPs. Having lots of routers accessible from a small
> number of machines, which are (relatively) widely accessible but can be
> firewalled to hell, seems a better option than having lots of routers
> accessible from a large number of machines (esp. ones outside ones own
> administrative domain, e.g. home machines). YMMV. [no I don't think
> they need the other pixie dust stuff on though]

Well, either you have one per POP (and that, as Randy Bush points out, can
be quite the headache in itself), which is still a single point of failure for
that POP, or you're advocating that the routers be reachable from the magic box
at *any* POP (which is right back into the "large number of machines"
issue....)

In any case, the concept is merely a workaround that doesn't actually fix the
real problem - right up there with arguing what color band-aids to use on a
hemophiliac....