Re: Real-Time Mitigation of Denial of Service Attacks Now Available With AT&T

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Thu Jun 03 01:50:05 2004

> Based on recent observations of many folks, "spoofing is out of vogue".
> So much so that some recent discussions I've had with several folks
> lead me to believe that less than 1% of DDOS attacks today employ
> source address spoofing.  As such, the value of techniques such as
> backscatter analysis and traceback decrease as well.
You should be right. If hacker use distributed network of zombie to set up
massive attack, he do not bother
about revealing back address of the packets (you can find a zombied machine,
so what - he have a lot of them);
on the other hand, it is much simpler to program such attack without
frauding src address.

SRC spoofing does not work thru firewalls, and makes zombie detection very
simple on the originating side (for example, we log all
packets with wrong SRC addresses, originated from our network ports in the
INTRANET network).