Re: Real-Time Mitigation of Denial of Service Attacks Now Available With AT&T

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Wed Jun 02 14:39:18 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:39:39AM -0600, Danny McPherson wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>
> >What people may being seeing is that poorly randomized source attacks
> >are
> >being automatically filtered by uRPF loose or other means before they
> >ever
> >reach the target. I keep track of my network border filter counters,
> >and
> >believe me spoofed attacks are not going out of style,
>
> How do you discriminate *DDOS attacks employing source address spoofing*
> from broken NATs, rampant worms, PMTU and other related misconfiguration
> resulting in backscatter and similar garbage - with filter counters?
> Given,
> tactically deployed filters in order to mitigate a specific attack to a
> particular
> destination would likely glean some value WRT the validity of the source
> distribution for a given attack, but not generally deployed filters for
> any
> destination.

If it walks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck, it is probably a duck.
RFC1918 sourced space, most likely from misconfigured NATs and such,
account for only a very small amount of the bogon-source packets which go
splat.

Most of the DoS attempts by volume don't fall into the category of
questionable. When you see a 100Mbps stream (from a single ingress
interface, with consistant TTL's) of IP proto 0 or 255, or tcp port 0, or
classic SYN flooders (SYN w/no MSS) or stream (randomized seq# and fixed
ack# on a packet w/TH_ACK flag only) targetting a specific IP/port with a
source address of iph.ip_src.s_addr = random(), it is pretty easy to tell
those apart from the usual background noise of a worm.

> > especially from foreign and certain smaller networks.
>
> I'd be extremely interested in any empirical evidence you have to
> support
> this, and in better understanding exactly how you determined "foreign
> and
> certain smaller networks" were indeed the source of many of these
> spoofed
> packets.

Some days it helps to actually have an operational network, instead of
being a researcher. Even without interesting tools it isn't terribly hard
to look at your PNI graphs, match up the hundreds-of-meg spikes with
specific DoS incidents, and go from there. Not to point fingers at anyone
in particular, but it seems to be the same foreign networks who tend to
have little control over their spammers.