Re: Real-Time Mitigation of Denial of Service Attacks Now Available With AT&T

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Wed Jun 02 13:01:35 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:19:08AM -0600, Danny McPherson wrote:

> While I mostly agree with your sentiment, one minor detail..
>
> Based on recent observations of many folks, "spoofing is out of vogue".
> So much so that some recent discussions I've had with several folks
> lead me to believe that less than 1% of DDOS attacks today employ
> source address spoofing.  As such, the value of techniques such as
> backscatter analysis and traceback decrease as well.

Nonsense... While many more attacks are non-forged (see: hacked windows
machines in giant DDoS bot-nets that doesn't care about hiding the origin
because there are too many hosts to do anything about anyways) than they
were in the past, forged source attacks still make up huge portions of the
packets being thrown around.

What people may being seeing is that poorly randomized source attacks are
being automatically filtered by uRPF loose or other means before they ever
reach the target. I keep track of my network border filter counters, and
believe me spoofed attacks are not going out of style, especially from
foreign and certain smaller networks. As a customer of someone who does
this kind of filtering and maintains sufficient border capacity, you may
never see the gigabits of src bogons, protocol 0 or 255, port 0, 40 byte
syns w/no MSS option, etc, and assume that these attacks are out of style
because the only ones that get through are the WinXP MSS+SACK unforged
drone SYNs.