Re: best effort has economic problems

  • From: Gordon Cook
  • Date: Sat May 29 16:56:00 2004

may I make just a passing observation?

From a technology point of view the best effort internet certainly "works." Not surprisingly the comments here are primarily debating the finer points of the technology.

The point I am making in my report is NOT that the best effort network has technology problems but rather that it has ECONOMIC PROBLEMS. That it might support 2 or 3 players not 2 or 3 HUNDRED. That until companies begin to go chapter seven and vanish, the best effort net will be a black hole that burns up capital because, for many players, the OPERATIONAL expense is more than they get for bandwidth never mind cap-ex.

best effort won't go away. many best effort players will.

for the time being, best effort bandwidth prices as an absolute commodity cannot sustain networks over the long haul. A network that can deliver QoS the report hypothesizes may be able to attract enough revenue to become profitable. How to to this my group is still discussing. We don't pretend that QoS is easy or any kind of mature collection of technologies, but increasingly it looks as though the industry, if it is ever going to be self sustaining, really needs to look at QoS services and solutions.