Re: Cisco HFR

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Wed May 26 12:34:43 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Palm has taken an interesting approach to get rid of fragmentation: the
> OS is allowed to move (some) structures from one physical memory
> location to another. This only works if the processes that use this
> memory are written to support this, of course.

Its not a new technique - if you allocate memory "handlers" rather than
addresses and ask the OS/Memorymanager to lock a handler in memory
(and give you an address) then the OS/MM is able to move around unlocked
memory blocks, even on/off disk, at whim.

Win16 memory allocation looked like this, and I'm sure it was lifted
from something even older.

Its not actually a bad idea in a single-process standalone application.
It certainly beats using a VM in this instance.

Anyway, back to the network topics.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			I'm only a fanboy if
<[email protected]>	    I emailed Wesley Crusher.