RE: Cisco HFR

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Tue May 25 14:04:41 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> > As with many things, if you have to ask how much it costs
> > before deciding to order it, you can't afford it.
>
> You don't get it, me thinks. For lots of people here, networks are not a
> toy funded by the taxpayer's money, they're a tool to make money and
> popular wisdom that I have found being practiced here says that indeed
> you _do_ ask how much it costs before you buy it. I don't buy a million
> bucks peace of equipment because it looks cool and I just got funding. I
> buy a million bucks piece of equipment because I want ROI on it, and if
> the ROI is 500k over 5 years I actually don't buy it.

Yeah, the state of CA sure hasn't purchased tens of millions of dollars
worth of stuff they don't need *cough*oracle*cough*. :)

I think the point was, for people who actually need this router, price
isn't a factor. If you actually need it, there are no other options. And
if money is a primary consideration, this is not the router for you. The
secondary market is obviously where the value is...and I doubt these will
show up on ebay.

Andy

---
Andy Dills