Re: handling ddos attacks

  • From: Richard Cox
  • Date: Fri May 21 15:22:05 2004

On 21 May 2004 18:11 UTC Scott Weeks <[email protected]> wrote:

| How much more of my time do you think it'd take to convince
| international authorities that some kid who ran LC4 from Europe,
| got a password and put something from
| http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/DoS/index.html on one of the
| computers to attack his enemy of the day is worth their time and
| effort? Think globally.  It ain't gonna happen...

If you can get past "local" barriers, it very probably will happen.
I'm in regular touch with the relevant authorities and I can tell you
that the FBI is 100% targeted on getting results in exactly that area.

While there are obvious difficulties with Russian (and neighbouring
country) ISPs, for the rest of Europe any such misconduct gets fast
action - as witness the speed with which Law Enforcement moved over
the Sasser worm - the author of which is already in custody.

If you are aware of any live case believed to be originating in Europe,
I'm sure you can think of a suitable person with whom to get in touch!

--
Richard Cox