Re: fiber cut 19 May/PM -> 20 May/AM in Ashburn, VA (lawnmower?!)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri May 21 11:31:41 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004 [email protected] wrote:
> Appears it should not be a suprise at all it was not redundant.  On a
> related note another researcher at GMU has collected all the outage
> reports that "were" posted on the FCC website and put them in a database
> form, and we are going to try and run correlations between outage
> location and the density of fiber located there.

Try to be careful interpreting the FCC outage reports.  They are
"reportable" outages, so they are biased because of the reporting
regulations.  For example, you'll find more airports are impacted,
because the reporting regulations for airports are different than the
reporting regulations for other services.  On the other hand, military
base outages (with the exception of one involving Area 51) are normally
not included in the FCC outage reports.  So you might think there are
very few fiber cuts on military bases.

Some carriers, i.e. Sprint, advertise their lack of FCC outage reports
when in reality it may just be because Sprint doesn't serve the type of
customers covered by FCC reporting regulations.  I think MCI still has
the FAA contract.