Re: fiber cut 19 May/PM -> 20 May/AM in Ashburn, VA (lawnmower?!)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Fri May 21 10:45:16 2004

configuration known as "collapsed backbone".  in this instance, both
pairs of fiber ride in the same conduit for some portion of the
distance
... or even as two wavelengths on the same pair of fibre.

It's a sick, sick, twisted world.

Come on, that is what we call lambda-diversity. In case your fiber fails to carry, say 1550nm in the middle of the night, you are protected with your 1590nm lambda.

I don't believe how many people engineer for physical diversity and not lambda diversity -- and then its too late.

<jk, I've been up since 6:30am>

DJ