RE: Filtering network content (rev.)

  • From: Steve Birnbaum
  • Date: Fri May 21 00:27:21 2004

> Is content filtering something ISPs are looking at or already
> doing?  I'm assuming this question would mostly apply to

I did this for a customer back in 1996 or 1997, before transparent devices
were around.  The users dialed in, and their tacacs/radius profile
restricted them to an ACL which blocked traffic should they accidentally
have removed their browser proxy config.  A Squid proxy was set up with a
URL filter list, which was snarfed periodically (I think I automated this
somehow) from a list the customer maintained.

During black-out times, a time-based rule blocked everything.

Worked great, though faded away from lack of interest.  I haven't seen
similar requests come up since.

regards,

  Steve

----
Steve Birnbaum		SkyVision Global Networks
Phone: +44 20 83871750	Email: [email protected]