Dell power connect switches.

  • From: Joel Perez
  • Date: Thu May 20 16:16:34 2004

Good afternoon,

We are planning to deploy several Dell PowerConnect 3324, 3348 and 6024
switches on our network.

We currently have between 200-300 users and servers that these switches
will service. We are also planning to add about 300-400 more users in
the next 2-3 mos. 85% of the users are for our call center where they
all use Terminal clients and connect to W2K TS. The rest is regular
staff and our application servers.

Can anyone tell me any good/bad points about them?

I originally proposed using RiverStone as L2 switches but price was a
factor in our decision to go with Dell. That is my main concern at this
point. The Dell switches are very cheap compared to other L2 switches
out there. Will this be a case of "you get what you pay for" or are they
really good performing units?

I really have not been able to find any lists or other sources with
comments on these units. I'd appreciate any info you guys might have.

Regards,

Joel Perez        | Network Engineer
[email protected]  | www.USPGI.com