Re: backscatter hosts

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Tue May 18 19:35:42 2004

on Tue, May 18, 2004 at 07:17:58PM -0400, Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2004, Steven Champeon wrote:
>
> >Granted, it's a DSN for an over-quota user, not a nonexistent user, but
> >the rejection happens after accept, and the DNS goes to the forged sender.
>
> OK Steve  let me know when you have the sendmail ruleset to check quota on
> a remote host before accepting RCPT To: :-)

Not the point. Point is that mail sent to a hotmail.com address from a
forged sender was accepted, was not delivered, and the DSN sent to the
forged sender.

It's not really my business why a hotmail.com MX accepted mail it
couldn't deliver. I could care less /why/. It's up to hotmail to fix
their systems - I don't care how they perform that background check on
quota.

It's my business that over the past sixty days, we've had to reject over
23K of these, and had rejected some 130K in three weeks during March, at
the peak of the joe job. At one point, backscatter accounted for 70% of
my inbound email traffic on one host. Almost made the usual spam and
virus look like background noise.

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/