Re: Cisco's Statement about IPR Claimed in draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure

  • From: Henning Brauer
  • Date: Thu May 13 14:42:33 2004

* Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email protected]> [2004-05-13 19:52]:
> I don't think you can fully randomize the source port as it might clash
> with well-known ports.

of course. 1024 - 49151, on OpenBSD.

> Also, it may be somewhat expensive to make ports
> truly random. (But not as expensive as doing MD5 for the whole
> session.)

We have randomized src ports in OpenBSD since 1996 - on all platforms,
including vax and such. No, it is not expensive.

> But why are you assuming the window size is 64k? This is completely
> unnecessary, and not done in practice by "real" routers: those
> typically use a 16k window. It should even be possible to set the
> window to a very small size, such as 64 bytes. That's enough to receive
> the initial BGP header, after which the window can be set to a larger
> size until the session is idle again.

In OpenBSD's bgpd, we only scale the window up of md5sig or ipsec is in
use...

[email protected] - [email protected]
(Dennis Ritchie)