4 GB interface s HSRP with two Class C address block

  • From: Joe Shen
  • Date: Thu May 13 09:15:36 2004

Hi,

We  want to set up a resilent internet connection between backbone
and outing going network by using  4 GB ethernet.
It's demanded that  the four GB ethernet connection are grouped
into two GB channels ( two work horse + two backup), HSRP + STP are
 requirement to enable system reliablity.  It's also expected to use
8 IP addresses for network i nterconnection between backbone and
outgoing network.

We plan to provide such service by using GB interfaces on two catalyst
6509. But, to my understanding  if the two GB channels are configured
with  2*4 interconnection IP addresses, STP is not required between our
switches and customer's switches.  And, the two GB channel could
participate two HSRP groups, and acts  as primary and standby sequently.

                          GB
Catalyst6509-A =================== Catalyst6509-B  <- outgoing &#65288;layer2+layer3)
    ||			                ||
    ||  GB Channel                      || GB Channel
    ||		  2GB                   ||
Catalyst 2948G =================== Catalyst2948G   <-Core ( maybe only layer2 )
              network with two class C address

To the topology above, I think  the 8 interconnection IP addresses
are not required. But, if the two GB channels are  configured into
 one VLAN, the number of of host in one collision domain will be
 2*256, this will surely derive to broadcast storm.
 I don't know how to set up IP routing in Layer 3 of 6509-A and
6509-B either.

How could it done?

Each word will be highly appreciated.

Regards