Re: Spamcop

  • From: chuck goolsbee
  • Date: Tue May 11 19:51:39 2004

I would agree with your analogy if Spamcop limited automatic reporting
to subset of the community. The problem is they do not.
In Spamcop's defence, it seems that their systems were never designed to handle the wide variety of 'attack vectors" that spam uses today.

Spamcop also operates on the assumption that the user is exercising some judgement when *directly* reporting spam, which is universally the case with mailing list traffic. No matter how foolproof your system, the world creates a better fool.

Thankfully, all my interactions - as a web host, network operator, and mailing list manager- with Spamcop and their staff have been professional, and productive. I for one appreciate the "just the facts" style of reporting, and useful mechanisms for interacting with the complainers. It is a refreshing change from the usual ALL-CAPS threats and exclamation point filled diatribes, usually mailed to the wrong [email protected]* addresses.

--chuck