Re: Spamcop

  • From: Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.
  • Date: Tue May 11 18:35:32 2004

Chris Brenton wrote:

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 18:15, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

As an ex-admin, I have some "serious issues" about the way Spamcop
works, but this argument is similar to one that says a credit reporting
company has to prove that you are a deadbeat before reporting that
several companies you do business with report that you are late with
payments a lot.
I would agree with your analogy if Spamcop limited automatic reporting
to subset of the community. The problem is they do not. I can't call up
a credit agency and get them to automatically red mark your credit
report. I obviously can send pretty much anything to Spamcop, claim you
are a spammer and get them to act on that.
Actually, apparently you can--we have to (actually, my dear wife has to)
take the reporting houses to task every now and again because they
report, on occasion, that we are somehow connected to people who
have financial difficulty.  Sometimes it is people we know, but have
no responsibility for, sometimes it is people whose account numbers
are related numerically to ours, sometimes we never find out how they
got on our report.

And the "act on that" means "report that you reported it--with your
privacy protected" doesn't it?

--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio