Type of Service (TOS)

  • From: Vicky Rode
  • Date: Mon May 10 12:59:25 2004

Hi there,

Say if I had a qos appliance installed on networks between a lan and a wan box would the qos policies be carried across wan end points (point to point connection)? In other words, will the router retain the TOS bits across to the other side of the wan connection to provide QoS-style priority for the packets or will it clear the TOS bits? BTW, the other side of the wan connection also has the qos appliance sitting between a lan and a wan box.

Just so that I'm clear, I'm not talking about an upstream neighbor being an ISP connection which I know they will likely ignore the TOS bits unless I pay them extra for the feature. The above scenario is a point to point connection to a remote site.

Any insight will be appreciated.

regards,
/vicky