Re: What percentage of the Internet Traffic is junk?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu May 06 10:23:37 2004

On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:55:04 PDT, Steve Gibbard said:
> Presumably, if it's being sent that means somebody wanted to send it, so
> the senders' desires are a pretty meaningless metric.

Actually, there's two cases:

1) the sender intended to send it, so the sender's desires don't matter
as we "know" a priori what the answer was...

2) The sender has malware on the box - I am including in here everything from
viruses, worms, and trojans to the popular software that tries to register an
RFC1918 address in the DNS (resulting in traffic to the root DNS servers).
Here, the sender's desires don't matter, since they aren't aware they're even
doing it until somebody *tells* them....