Re: Worms versus Bots

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu May 06 05:49:31 2004

On 5-mei-04, at 0:26, Rob Nelson wrote:

If the person doesn't continue to do acls/nat/firewalls, they'll just get infected after the next hole is discovered. And yes, there are plenty of holes that a firewall/nat box won't fix. Still, better than the user only doing Windows Update on the day of install and never having a firewall...
I object to the idea that requiring a software firewall inside a host is a reasonable thing to do. Why on earth would I want to run an insecure service and then have a filter to keep it from being used? Either I really want to run the service, and then the firewall gets in the way, or I don't need the service to be reachable, so I shouldn't run it. System services should only be available over the loopback address. Now obviously this is way too simple for some OS builders, but we shouldn't accept their ugly hacks as best current practice.