Re: What percentage of the Internet Traffic is junk?

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Wed May 05 16:59:38 2004

Whenever I hear a question like this, I think of the weekly I2
netflow reports

http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/

http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/20040426/

Look at Table's 6, 7 and 8 - email, for example, is 1/2 %, so even if all email
is spam, it's not that  big a flow. Unidentified is typically about 30%, but
most of that is probably file sharing.

My opinion, from looking at these tables, is that probably little is junk, at least
in the eye's of the receiver.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks