Re: BGP Exploit

  • From: Patrick W.Gilmore
  • Date: Wed May 05 16:02:27 2004

On May 5, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Smith, Donald wrote:

No. The router stays up. The tool I use is very fast. It floods the GIGE
to the point that that interface is basically unusable but the router
itself stays up only the session is torn down. I did preformed these
tests in a lab and did
not have full bgp routing tables etc ... so your mileage may vary.
That is DAMNED impressive. I've never seen a router which can take a Gigabit of traffic to its CPU and stay up. What kind of router was this? You mentioned Juniper and Cisco before, but I know a cisco will fall over long before a gigabit and a Juniper either does or drops packets destined for the CPU (but keeps routing).

Perhaps it was rate limiting the # of packets which reached the CPU, and the session stayed up because the "magic" packet was dropped in the rate limiting?

--
TTFN,
patrick