RE: Worms versus Bots

  • From: Michel Py
  • Date: Wed May 05 11:07:02 2004

> Matthew Crocker wrote:
> We require a NAT device or true firewall on all DSL
> customer connections. We sell cheap Linksys boxes
> to customers or they can upgrade to a SonicWall.

This makes a lot of sense to me. It's not a
silver bullet, but it does help.

> I still like PPPoE for customer authentication
> because I can place individual packet filters or
> re-assign users to different contexts based on
> username/password authentication. PPPoE/NAT is a
> good combination.

Tends to be a non-issue now, but it's a lot easier to deal with PPPoE on
the Linksys than have the customer install a more or less crummy PPPoE
client on their PC. The cost of dealing with one customer that trashed
their PC installing an early PPPoE client (with the help of helpdesk :-(
is worth ten Linksys.

Michel.