Re: Worms versus Bots

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Tue May 04 18:56:21 2004

In message <[email protected]>, "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr." writes:

>chuck goolsbee wrote:
>
>>> However, up to 90% of the users *are* stupid:
>

>> Seriosuly though, the Internet might be a better place for it. After
>> all, 90% of those "stupid" people just want email and HTTP.
>
>Do we have a pointer to a rigorous study that indicates either
>assertion?
>
>Or is it possible there are other explanations?

Don Norman has argued quite eloquently that it's a technology and human
factors failure -- see, for example,
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200312/msg00105.html
(reprinted from RISKS Digest).

Now, I'm not saying that it's easy to get things like this right, and
I've argued loudly against the notion that auto-patching is a sane
approach.  But if we deny that there's a problem except for "stupid
people", we're not likely to find a solution.