RE: FW: Worms versus Bots

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Tue May 04 13:08:56 2004

At 12:35 PM 5/4/2004, Smith, Donald wrote:
Daniel I agree a nat/firewall/router with acl's ... will all help
prevent windows compromises.
I believe security in depth is an essential element of any good security
system.

The goal of this document is help new XP users survive long enough to do
their updates.
Many of them cant/wont put up acls/nat/firewalls
Note that I said "have this NAT box in your bag." My suggestion is that this be used during installation.

Is $50 too high an extra expense to suggest people just buy one with the machine, and use it as a tool for doing installations? That's what I was suggesting.

For the money, this is FAR better protection than that provided by the document.

... but if they follow
the steps listed they have a better chance of
successfully downloading and updating their new machine then they will
have with OUT these steps.
It is not meant as a complete XP hardening document. There are lots of
documents that discuss in detail how to harden
windows (xp,nt,2k...).

[email protected] GCIA
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xAF00EDCC
pgpFingerPrint:9CE4 227B B9B3 601F B500  D076 43F1 0767 AF00 EDCC
kill -13 111.2