Re: looking for Slammer infectee access link speeds

  • From: vern
  • Date: Sun May 02 11:38:28 2004

> I think this is really the most important point. Link speeds and such
> are not as significant, maximum packet rates probably are.

Where link rates become key is in modeling the worm's dynamics.  Because
often a single infected machine could fill an access link, additional
infections behind that same link didn't change the worm's overall scanning
rate; this is unlike other, non-"bandwidth-limited" worms, and changes
Slammer's growth to not be the usual exponential/logistic curve.

See our paper on Slammer for more details:

	http://www.computer.org/security/v1n4/j4wea.htm

We're now trying to explore that effect, which requires knowing what those
bottleneck bandwidth rates were for sets of hosts behind a common bottleneck.

		Vern