Re: Spam handling

  • From: Gregh
  • Date: Thu Apr 29 00:17:32 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Suresh Ramasubramanian" <[email protected]>
To: "Gregh" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Spam handling

> Gregh  writes on 4/29/2004 9:27 AM:
>
> > A guide to how to be spammed.
> >
> > 1) Click on most spam emails to let them know your address is to be
spammed.

> > 2) Failing that in 1, click on a "remove me" so they know you are still
> > around.
>
> Folks, you are missing something here.  He was trying to write to SBC at
> an address they asked him to write to, and that address bounced when he
> emailed it.
>
> He's not doing what you think he's doing.

With all respect, he has replied to a remove me. Then he is saying the
address doesn't exist. I send messages back, routinely, from this address as
if my ISP's own mailer daemon had sent them. The address he emailed may WELL
exist but it is set up to respond with a standard "User not known" style
reply.

I wasn't missing anything. What he was missing is as I said before and the
above paragraph. The remove me address may exist and all email to it may be
kept and read by a spam engine and the FROM address added to the spammer's
database BUT the spam engine is set up to send "User Unknown" replies back
to everyone. Easy to do with a simple program most people could write. Even
Macafee have worked out how to do this.

Greg.