RE: Cisco Router best for full BGP on a sub 5K bidget 7500 7200 orother vendor ?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Mon Apr 26 14:13:38 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Michel Py wrote:

> > "Alexander Hagen"
> > What about a 7505 w/ RSP4/256 and 2 VIP 2-50/128s with 4 PA-FE-TXs.
>
> I would get a 7507 w/redundant RSPs and redundant PS.

You'd get a 7507 (only if it were a choice between that or a 7505?), but
then at the end of your message, you say you wouldn't buy any 7500?

> >> What is better about the 7206 VXR ?
> > Fewer software bugs,
>
> Not in my experience.

A couple 'advantages' to the 7206 are much smaller size & mass.  The 7206
is single person portable.  The 7507 and 7513 are very much larger and
much more massive.  You'll never see someone running down the street away
from your data center with a 7507 under their arm.

> The part I missed earlier is that I think Alexander needs to buy the
> platform. As of today I can not recommend buying any 7500 as even the
> 7507 and the 7513 are going to EOL sooner or later. If you can't afford
> a 7603, then the 7206VXR with NPE400G and a gigabit trunk to a 3550 is
> what I would do.

A basic 7507 (dual PS, dual RSP4, couple of VIPs and PAs) is so cheap
today, if he's strapped for cash, that's what I'd go for.  I'm guessing
you can still get at least several years out of such a box, and by the
time you've outgrown it or cisco stops making IOS for it (they still make
IOS for AS5200's!), hopefully you'll have the cashflow to upgrade.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |