RE: Cisco Router best for full BGP on a sub 5K bidget 7500 7200 orother vendor ?

  • From: sthaug
  • Date: Sun Apr 25 09:06:54 2004

> Yes. I've been looking at it and a 7505 with a 3550 behind it seems the
> way to go for our type of operation.
>
> As a cost cutting alternative - has anyone played with the 2900 XL
> series using sub interfaces to turn them into virtual router ports ? or
> vlan groups ?
> Is it better to just buy a 3550 ?

If you're only doing basic Ethernet-Ethernet routing, and don't need
a full routing table, it's quite possible that the 3550 will perform
better than either the 6000/Sup1A or the 7505. You might also consider
a 3750, which handles a large number of SVIs better than the 3550.

(Yes, I'm seriously suggesting using the 3550 or 3750 alone.)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email protected]