Re: TCP/BGP vulnerability - easier than you think

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Fri Apr 23 06:15:56 2004

On 23-apr-04, at 12:03, Florian Weimer wrote:

BTW, anyone seen anything supporting Paul Watson's claim that all it
takes to break a session is four packets?

Where does he claim that?
In several news stories, such as http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,63143,00.html? tw=wn_tophead_2

I've browsed his paper and the packet numbers he gives are higher.
Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find it so far.

Either this issue has been wildly exaggerated, or Paul Watson's paper
is not the whole story.
Yes. I've never been one for conspiracy theories but now I'm tempted to become a believer... ("That whole SMNP vulnerability thing was just a trick to get us to install fixed IOSes before the real story gets out.")

I assume he's talking about this vulnerability that was fixed in
FreeBSD in 1998: http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/j-008.shtml

I certainly hope our collective favorite vendors didn't overlook
this one.

Maybe they have fixed it now?  This would explain most of the frenzy.
I guess we have to wait a bit longer to find out.