Re: Backbone IP network Economics - peering and transit

  • From: Tom Vest
  • Date: Thu Apr 22 23:12:23 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 9:29 PM, Michel Py wrote:

Deepak Jain wrote:
But that structure doesn't vary vastly if you'd traffic out
that gig via transit vs direct connect. It does vary (and
add lots of infrastructure) if you don't aggregate your
traffic at IXes and instead use loops to bring transit to
you instead of going to it. (say a few 100Mb/s or OC3s in
a few places instead of a GigE at an IX).
Indeed.

Perhaps we should (for technical reasons) describe
peering as "direct connecting".
This makes a lot of sense to me (although I would suggest a different
name later). Since the beginning I have been trying to make the point
that "direct connecting" was typically a no-brainer in terms of money.
Peering when you have to buy the local loop is not such a slam dunk.

Business reasons aside, technically the difference is
that with transit you are expecting access via indirect
connections to networks.
I'm not so sure about this. There are lots of people that buy transit
and are directly connected to their provider in an IX for example.

With peering you expect direct connections into a network.
If "direct connecting" != peering then definitely.

Maybe we need to say differentiate between:
- Connected transit
- Remote transit
- Connected peering
- Remote peering

And agree that, by default,
transit ~= remote transit
peering ~= direct peering

Michel.
The kind of relative cost dynamics described in this thread leave a measurable geographic imprint on the Internet. Big network operators make deployment decisions explicitly to optimize capex/opex over a relatively short horizon, with proximate peering opportunities often justifying higher upfront costs. Conversely, there are plenty of places where lack of public IX facilities, and/or exploitive metro/regional infrastructure costs make remote interconnection not-economically-viable -- so very little peering or multihoming in general. Regions or countries fitting the latter description typically have very few autonomous networks, because there's really very little be gained from running your own network. Infrastructure (layer2, "basic telecom," etc.) was once highly regulated everywhere, and didn't/doesn't really become affordable anywhere unless/until someone in authority compels sharing or underwrites the development of competing infrastructures. I don't think it was just a coincidence that EGP was developed during the same period that Ma Bell was being broken up into regional and national "independent operating entities"...

Voila: The origin and evolving structure of IDR is a product of layer 8/9.

There's a time dimension to this dynamic as well, as infrastructure savings belatedly give rise to reduced transit costs; once and future operators jump into and out of the game at different points in the cycle. Anyone else notice how many "content providers" are now suddenly looking for peering coordinators? It's not because they expect other operators to come to their isolated data center(s)...they are building out, because that's what makes sense for them at this point in the cycle.

Now I will go back to hunkering down until SF.

Tom