Re: Winstar says there is no TCP/BGP vulnerability

  • From: James
  • Date: Thu Apr 22 16:50:49 2004

Hi Deepak,

	Yes you are correct, but really... getting all your peers to do
	this new security policy gets into politics. the fact that you don't
	control your peer's security policy is the problem.. The issue here is
	that you have to make sure you protect your peer for traffic origined
	from your network, whether via filter or blackhole, and your peer has
	to do the same for traffic originating from theirs. What if someone
	at either end by mistake mess up the filter? It's a royal pain in the
#@$%%.

	running bgp session over a /30 that's invisible from traceroute and
	obscured from public knowledge is a better idea, although it is security
	by obscurity, it is a better practice, and easier to manage than having
	both sides abide to a filtering / mutual protection policy.

-J

--
James Jun                                            TowardEX Technologies, Inc.
Technical Lead                        Network Design, Consulting, IT Outsourcing