Re: TCP RST attack (the cause of all that MD5-o-rama)

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Tue Apr 20 18:47:03 2004

On 20-apr-04, at 23:45, vijay gill wrote:

the correct workaround is the
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-00.txt
draft. MD5 is also the correct workaround. However, neither of the
two protect against what is the most vulnerable thing in the internet
infrastructure today - a large amount of PPS at the _router_ (with or
without md5 or tcpsecure) will blow it out of the water.
So all we have to do is apply strong crypto a bit smarter, such that we only burn CPU cycles for good packets rather than for all packets.