Re: The Uneducated Enduser (Re: Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT))

  • From: Dr. Jeffrey Race
  • Date: Tue Apr 20 11:28:53 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:21:02 -0500 (CDT), Adi Linden wrote:
>> Since many gateway service providers will not prevent insufficiently
>> skilled users from connecting to the internet and injuring others, the
>> only remaining solution, as far as I can see, is cutting connectivity
>> with those enablers.  That is the proposal I advanced in
>> <http://www.camblab.com/misc/univ_std.txt>.
>And once again the you're punishing the victim. Let's not forget that the
>uneducated end user is tricked into doing things that are not good for
>them or the rest of the internet connected world.
>Unfortunately the only feasible and readily available computer solution
>for the uneducated end user is a single available operating system.
>Everyone is at the mercy of this product with all its flaws and downfalls.
>Instead of continually blaming the uneducated end user how about providing
>tools to the uneducated end user that can be used to connect to the
>internet without becoming a liability. A toaster with keyboard an monitor...

I beg to clarify that I am not "blaming" anyone; I am describing a system
with known input-output properties and internal structures.  We know how
this system behaves in terms of technology and human behavior, and we
know what to do to the inputs to change the outputs.   If you choose
to smoke, you get cancer.   Same with spam.   If you don't want to have
spam, you have to change some behaviors.   Some people will be inconvenienced.
Life is full of such choices.

As for the specifics of your comments, I could not disagree more, but it
is a philosophy of life that distinguishes our views, not the analysis of
the problem.   I believe (like a lot of other New Englanders and even
some from California) that people must assume responsibility for their
actions.  If responsibility is not enforced, society collapses (into e.g.
the kind of chaos we see on the internet.)

In 2004 no one is "tricked" into using rubbish software; there are
plenty of alternatives, and the rubbishy nature of the leading OS is
in almost every day's newspaper.  It's a choice people make, like overeating
and gaining weight.  No one is there with a gun forcing people to gain
weight.

As for "uneducated", the solution is the same as for bad drivers:
training.  If you are a threat to the rest of the internet because of
your ignorance (or irresponsibility) then you do not qualify for
connectivity, just as bad drivers don't get licenses, bad credit
risks don't get credit, and drunk airline pilots stop flying.

To repeat: the solution to spam is to apply rigorously the same rules
to the internet as are used everywhere else in society.   It is simple,
it pays for itself, it works, and it works immediately.  Some people
will be upset, like the smokers who have to go outside for a puff or
even give up their habit.  However the result is better for EVERYONE
including "the uneducated".

Jeffrey Race