Responsibility: user or OS? (Re: Microsoft XP SP2)

  • From: E.B. Dreger
  • Date: Mon Apr 19 17:24:04 2004

JS> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:39:10 -0700
JS> From: Jeff Shultz

JS> > Also, do you realize how much the 'average technical school
JS> > graduate type' makes just from acquaintances who complain
JS> > that their computers are slow, by simply removing whatever
JS> > "flavor of the month backdoor spam proxy virus"
JS>
JS> Ah, now you are talking about why I happily promote Ad-Aware
JS> and Spybot.

They're a start.  However, I've encountered many systems with
suspicious/malicious ActiveX controls or BHOs that neither
AdAware nor Spybot caught.  I can't think of many other people
who are willing to rip out chunks of the Registry manually.

How savvy should users be expected to be?  Education is good, but
there comes a point where the OS/software need to make abuse a
bit more difficult.  I'm curious to see how Win2003 Server and
its executable restrictions fare.  Not a silver bullet, of
course, but a good start.

I've given several presentations where I ask an audience member
to stand up and blindly do whatever I instruct.  Nobody has been
willing yet.  Most people will only perform certain "whitelisted"
actions in a public crowd.

Perhaps software should observe similar defaults.  Java applets
are scored for "safety" based on what calls the execute; why not
extend the approach to all applications?  Why not run with safe
defaults?

Eddy
--
EverQuick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/