Re: Anyone from AT&T here? (AT&T bogus DNSBL answers)

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Apr 19 16:07:33 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:45:19 PDT, just me said:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 [email protected] wrote:
>
>   After all, people who build DNS infrastructure intend it to be
>   used to for generic DNS translations, not generic database
>   lookups.
>
> Wait. What's the difference? I must have missed something.

LDAP is on port 389. ;)

DNS is intended for "give me the A record for the hostname FOO".

LDAP is a more proper tool for "Give me the list of hosts that user
Q-Froob is allowed to post mail from on Tuesdays after 5PM".

Unfortunately, some of the anti-spam proposals look more like the
latter than the former....