Re: Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

  • From: Brian Russo
  • Date: Mon Apr 19 11:05:21 2004

At Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:22:17PM +1000, Gregh wrote:
> I would love to know the average age of the list inhabitants.

22

> It has been my observation that things which are new become better known
> when a generation has grown up, completely, with it and is teaching the next
> generation.
>
> Until that occurs, you are going to get one heck of a larger lot of
> uninformed users because they are not only young and clueless but every
> other age and clueless. Worse, they are clueless in a lot of cases because
> they are frightened by new technology. Eventually, it will become as common
> as a car on the road and at that point, taking obvious steps wont even be a
> topic for discussion any longer.

Of course you're right, but this isn't going to happen for a long time..
and besides.. there are a lot of people in my generation that are not
that tech-savvy at all..

I'd say the top uses are Games, IM/blogs/etc and P2P

None of these really have anything to do with being good guardians of
the net.

Of course in the long-run you'll prove me wrong.. but I think it'll take
a fair while yet.. anyway, i just hope we'll have made good progress on
other fronts.

 - bri