Automated Copyright Notice System

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Apr 19 07:31:51 2004

Someone coming up with tools to solve Paul's problems.  Anyone can send an
XML formated notice to an ISP, and the user's Internet access is
automatically restricted.  Spoofing?

Btw, the music industry has applied for a patent on the technique.  Prior
art anyone?

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5194341.html

  Known as the Automated Copyright Notice System (ACNS), the technology
  promises to ease copyright enforcement on peer-to-peer networks, saving
  schools and Internet service providers (ISPs) time and money. It would
  allow them to restrict or cut off Internet access for alleged infringers
  automatically on notice from a record label or movie studio. For
  example, universities using ACNS could instantly send notices of
  copyright infringement to students by e-mail and restrict their network
  access until they have removed the file.
[...]
  "We're helping the ISP or university with policy enforcement, we're not
  dictating the policy but we're saying here's a tool to help with
  automating the process. We're the friends of the ISP," said Mark
  Ishikawa, chief executive officer of BayTSP, a Los Gatos, Calif.-based
  company that is using the system on behalf of copyright holders.