Microsoft XP SP2 (was Re: Lazy network operators - NOT)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Apr 18 23:19:37 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Doug White wrote:
> I likewise would like to see a better way - but changing the whole internet is
> completely illogical.
> Educating the masses is the same.
> As soon as I see a solution that will work, I will probably try to implement it
> on my system.

Abbot and Costello do Internet security.

Who's on first, what's on second, I don't know is on third base.

When the Morris worm was release, there wasn't a patch available.  Since
then essentially every compromised computer has been via a vulnerability
with a patch available or misconfiguration (or usually lack of
configuration).

As far as improvements go, Microsoft's XP SP2 is a great improvement.  If
you have a Window's machine, implementing XP SP2 could help with a lot of
the stupid vulnerabilities.  Unfortunately less than 50% of Internet users
have XP.

Should ISPs start requiring their users to install Windows XP SP2?