Re: why use IPv6, was: Lazy network operators

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sun Apr 18 13:09:22 2004

On 18-apr-04, at 12:16, Patrick W.Gilmore wrote:

[...]

Those are semi-nice features. Not sure I would use it as an excuse to migrate, though, since the need for them can easily be avoided in v4.
Sure. But I do find myself saying "if we were doing IPv6 right now we wouldn't have this problem" more and more.

Because of the large address space, scanning address blocks is no longer an option.

You have a /64, scanning that would be an issue. Is scanning a /96 really "no longer an option"? How about in a year? Two years?
People usually get /48s in IPv6, and you're not really supposed to use anything smaller than a /64 for most of the IPv6 address space. Let's assume a scan rate of 10 Gbps @ 64 bytes/packet. This makes it possible to probe in the order of 2^40 addresses per day, so it should take 2^24 days to scan a /64 ~= 46000 years.

I think "no customers" is rounding it down slightly. Yes, demand is low, but so is supply, hard to tell which causes which. And customers who do ask, are routinely turned down.

Certainly no customers on "The Web".  Maybe some niche applications.
See http://countipv6.bgpexpert.com/. The different numbers under "site" represent different web pages. 8 is a fairly standard one, and it gets around 0.15% visits from people who are v6-capable. (It's a page in Dutch, though, so the results are not representative of the situation in the US.)

Multihoming can be done the same way many people do it for IPv4: take addresses from one ISP and announce them to both. Obviously your /48 will be filtered, but as long as you make sure it isn't filtered between your two ISPs, you're still reachable when the link to either fails. However, this means renumbering when switching to another primary ISP. Not much fun, despite the fact that renumbering is much easier in IPv6.

This does not address the issue. If my /48 is filtered, I am still at the mercy of the provider with the super-CIDR. If that network is down, so am I.
True. However, many people don't get to do better than this in v4 either.

(And don't even think about saying backbones never go down.)
Wouldn't dream of it.  :-)