Re: Lazy network operators - NOT

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sun Apr 18 02:59:17 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
> MAPS or SORBS or somebody needs to set up a "BBL" (broad band list) which is
> just a list of "broadband" customer netblocks, with no moral/value judgement
> expressed or implied.  If it's complete and updated frequently, I'd pay for
> a feed because of all the work it would save me personally and in my dayjob.
> (Apropos of JCurran's comments above, it wouldn't matter if netblocks on this
> "BBL" disabled outbound TCP/25, or not, so, they probably just wouldn't, but,
> they probably aren't going to, no matter whether a "BBL" exists or not.)

Third-party lists are not the way to go.  As you point out, mixing moral
judgements with other information causes a lot of side-effects.  People
constantly confusing a listing on DUL with being a "spam provider," which
has the negative effect of some providers not going out of their way to
add more addresses to various dialup lists.  And the constant problem
of multiple lists being out-of-date.  Who is the "official" keeper
of the bad list this year?  Is every service provider expected to support
every third-party list.

The telephone network has the LIDB, which tells you which phone numbers
belong to payphones, prisons, residential, busines, etc.  It doesn't make
a judgement about the callers.  Providers supply information for other
people to make a decision based on information about the lines, not the
callers.

I suggested using something like HINFO in the in-addr.arpa address zones
for service providers to give similar information about IP addresses.
Yes, I know, using DNS for yet something else.  LDAP or RWHOIS or any
other global mechanism could be used.

HINFO
	PUB	- Public address (unauthenticated user)
	DYN	- Dynamic address (indeterminate user)
	K12	- School
	PRI	- Prison/Jail
	UCT	- University/College/Trade school
	HOI	- Hotel/Inn
	RES	- Residential
	BUS	- Business
	ISP	- Internet Service Provider

If you don't want to accept connections from indeterminate or
unauthenticated addresses, its your choice.  If you are a porn vendor
and don't want K12 users to accidently stumble on to your web site,
its your choice.  If you are a credit card vendor and don't want
to accept credit card orders from prisons or jails, its your choice.