Re: Anyone from AT&T here? (AT&T bogus DNSBL answers)

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Sat Apr 17 16:08:30 2004

Steve Linford wrote:

> AT&T customers have contacted us saying they can't reach any of our
> DNSBLs, seems AT&T have defined a fake sbl.spamhaus.org zone in their
> DNS servers so when AT&T customers ask AT&T's NS 12.149.189.2 for
> sbl.spamhaus.org they get:

I was looking at this some more last night, and noticed this appears to
have been some kind of mistaken identity issue.  Check the whois and
PTR for 12.149.189.2.  It certainly doesn't appear to be an AT&T
maintained DNS server.

If there really are/were AT&T customers who couldn't resolve the various
popular DNSBLs, I wonder, was the issue caused by something else?  Are
they setup to query the wrong DNS servers...perhaps 12.149.189.2 used to
be an AT&T DNS server before 2001-09-05, but since then, it's been an AT&T
customer's machine.  Maybe that customer is getting hammered with queries
from old AT&T customers and is trying to encourage them to go elsewhere
for DNS service.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |