Abuse mail boxese (was Re: Lazy network operators)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Apr 12 15:55:48 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> I can understand the reasoning behind what they are doing, but perhaps
> they are taking things in the wrong direction.  Our [email protected] email address
> is just that, abused.  Our [email protected] mailbox gets probably 500+ spams a day
> with maybe 2-3 legit emails that we need to look at.  Sure we could run

I'm not sure people actually understand the scope of what some ISPs have
to deal with.  Scaling to handle 6.8 million abuse complaints a day is
hard.  Despite calling them "lazy network operators" some of them work
very hard in a thankless job.

According to the Washington Post

   America Online says it has seen a dramatic decline in spam over the
   past month, due to improved filtering techniques and fear of
   litigation under a new U.S. law. In a one-month period ending March
   20, customer complaints about spam nearly halved to 6.8 million per
   day, the Time Warner Inc. unit said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3300-2004Apr11.html