Re: Lazy network operators

  • From: Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr.
  • Date: Mon Apr 12 12:42:06 2004

Robert Blayzor wrote:

Chris Boyd wrote:

NTL World no longer accepts [email protected] email. You have to go to a web form that requires javascript be enabled and enter all of the information for them. I guess that they got tired of processing the the [email protected] mail load and just bit bucketed it.
I'm late on this thread and I don't want to open a can of worms here, but...

I can understand the reasoning behind what they are doing, but perhaps they are taking things in the wrong direction. Our [email protected] email address is just that, abused. Our [email protected] mailbox gets probably 500+ spams a day with maybe 2-3 legit emails that we need to look at. Sure we could run anti-spam measures on the [email protected] address but that probably isn't the way to go since most complaints to [email protected] are forward spam messages which could be marked and then missed.

I think making a reporting page that requires jscript and such is a little over the top, but I don't think a simple HTML standard web form is out of the question. We've not gone this route yet, but we may head that way since I think the actual legit concerns of our [email protected] address are getting lost in the fray. Having our techs/engineers go through the [email protected] box every day to play hide and seek is a bit of an agonizing task that nobody really wants, especially at the volume it is today. If there was a standard that worked for this, we would certainly follow it. As it is today, we have got to find something simple that works for the legit issues and something that doesn't burn up so many engineer/tech cycles.
I have a couple of thoughts that I'll try to keep brief enough not
to be banned for mentioning them...

Not everybody can use an HTML browser to compose messages.

As soon as it seems like a good idea to those I am not allowed to
mention here, they will hammer on the forms just like they do the
[email protected] addresses.

OK, three....

How about all of the Service Providers decide to find a way to treat
the problem (instead of the symptoms that annoy them) and stop
the hammering on ALL accounts, including [email protected] accounts?
--
Requiescas in pace o email