Postmaster, hostmaster etc....

  • From: McBurnett, Jim
  • Date: Sun Apr 11 22:10:43 2004

All,
My company has a large # of "divisions", each with their own domain.
Currently we are maintaining hostmaster, webmaster, postmaster, security, and abuse
accounts for nearly all domains.

After our recent testing of some new spam filtering software, I am really wondering
about the operational necessity of all these addresses. (total of about 200 or so)

What is truly required? Our IP whois lists where we truly answer problems.
But we still review all the others.

Our spam software shows 98% of all email to the RFC accounts is spam.

So what will we have to deal with if we did discontinue those addresses for all but 1
of our domains.

how do some ISP's handle it?
You host hundreds or thousands of domains. most with no webmaster etc...
does it matter for the "small company" domain?

Comments appreciated on or off list...
Summary will be posted back to list.....

thanks,
Jim