Re: TTY phone fraud and abuse

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Sun Apr 11 22:07:52 2004

In message <[email protected]>, Suresh Ramasubramanian writes:
>[4/12/2004 4:49 AM]  Steven M. Bellovin :
>
>> Naturally, miscreants (to use robt's terminology) try to find ways to
>> make such calls from the U.S. more cheaply.  Sometimes, this involves
>> hacking PBXs, other times, it involves subscription fraud, or a variety
>> of other kinds of misbehavior.  The responses are similar to those we
>> use on the Internet -- traffic analysis (similar to looking at
>> NetFlow), blacklisting calls to certain countries from, say, pay
>> phones, etc.
>
>There is another class of people who route calls out from the USA to
>India (or elsewhere) using VOIP, terminate the calls at an unauthorized
>(that is, not run by a licensed telco) exchange in india, and then route
>the calls out through the local pstn or mobile network.
>
>Quite a few of the "call $asian_country for cheap" phone cards you find
>at ethnic grocery stores seem to work on these lines.
>
>The local telco doesn't see a red cent of any settlement charges when
>this happens.  Local telcos are, of course, all against this, and use
>any and every excuse to get these exchanges busted - a procedure that
>typically involves having the local police raid the exchange.

Yes.  Depending on the countries and telcos involved, this is either
illegal or "irregular" network access.  Other schemes involve call-back
(with the Internet as the signaling channel -- I first heard of that
being used in 1994, when most people outside our business had never
heard of the Internet) or calling through a third country if the
difference in rates makes that profitable.