Re: Packet anonymity is the problem?

  • From: Jeff Workman
  • Date: Sun Apr 11 18:20:07 2004

--On Sunday, April 11, 2004 6:03 PM -0400 Joe Maimon <[email protected]> wrote:

Jeff Workman wrote:

As I understand it, Netsky is supposed to be such a worm. Doesn't seem
to make much of a difference, does it?

I thought that Nachi/Welchia was supposed to be such a worm as well,
and it ended up doing more harm than good.
One could argue that those were implementation issues, probably performed
by people who did not know what they were doing.
I would be inclined to agree. However, how do we "verify" such a worm. Do we only allow signed worms to infiltrate our system? This is flawed because the worms in the wild are obviously penetrating systems without their owner's (or the operating system's) consent. And, even if it were possible to implement such a worm, who is going to assume the liability of signing it?

-J

--
Jeff Workman | [email protected] | http://www.pimpworks.org